Howard Goldberg’s Résumé
Freelance editorial project manager available for short-term assignments including editing and fact-checking investigative reporting. Recent experience producing and updating journalism and ethics guidance for public media and training materials for nonprofit news operations. Adept at working remotely, adapting to multiple workflows and technologies, and using data analysis and social media to promote audience growth.
Core Competencies include:
|· 24/7 deadline journalism
|· Product positioning and branding
|· Editorial team leadership
|· Marketing strategies and campaigns
|· Writing and copy editing
|· Survey research design
|· Digital analytics
Founder and owner of NewsDigits, a freelance editing and digital news strategy business based in Palm Springs, California. Ghostwriter or developmental editor for more than a dozen business books for successful entrepreneurs. Producer of the training website and other digital assets for the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN). Editor of digital projects including investigative reporting and editorial handbooks for KCRW and KCET, the flagship public radio and television stations in Southern California.
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Chief of Bureau, New York, (2005-2015)
Developed business relationships and represented AP within and outside the news industry to meet existing and future market needs.
- Met aggressive new revenue goals in digital media sales.
- Negotiated millions of dollars worth of new contracts and renewals with publishers in a challenging business environment.
- Introduced changes in pricing and distribution technology by traveling statewide to make product value presentations.
- Worked across departments to update products to serve new customers.
Prior to a 2011 redefinition of bureau chief roles:
- Managed 50 editorial staffers in a state news service operation with multiple bureaus.
- Planned news, photo, sports and graphics coverage to serve hundreds of newspaper and digital media and broadcast subscribers.
- Oversaw coverage of terrorism investigations, political sex scandals, financial frauds and natural disasters to meet the needs of local members and the worldwide news cooperative.
- Decided when to call major state elections based on analysis of early voting results.
Assistant Chief of Bureau, Los Angeles, (2003-2005)
Managed 60 editorial staffers in southern California and southern Nevada. Oversaw coverage of California’s worst wildfires, recall of the governor, the death of Ronald Reagan, the arrest and trial of Michael Jackson. Led court-access initiatives.
Assistant Chief of Bureau, Columbus, Ohio, (2001-2003)
Ohio News Editor, (1998-2001)
Managed 30 editorial staffers in seven bureaus. Overhauled scheduling and assignments to produce more timely, competitive and enterprising reporting.
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
AP WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Worked as a supervisor and national editor overseeing the news report, deciding on top stories, resolving issues involving standards. Wrote national news bulletins and stories, worked with reporters and editors in 144 bureaus. As polling editor, covered and analyzed national and state polls, coordinated the AP poll.
THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER
Managed a department that selected and edited national and foreign news stories from several wire services for a six-edition morning newspaper. Promoted after working as a copy editor and occasional copy desk slot, production editor, layout editor and reporter.
THE HICKORY (N.C.) DAILY RECORD
Reporter covering police/courts beat for one year. Promoted to cover city hall/politics and write weekly column.
Bachelor of Arts with honors, political science major, Duke University – Durham, N.C.
First student elected editor of the daily Chronicle as a junior.
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND DIGITAL SKILLS
- Developed and taught Online Journalism course as adjunct professor at St. John’s University in 2014.
- Taught session on “What Do These Web Analytics Mean?” at the SPJ/RTDNA national convention in 2011 and the NY Press Association state convention in 2012.
- Coordinated numerous digital training workshops around the country for AP and the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association.
- Maintained AP web and Facebook pages. Twitter: @goldcat